Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Long Over Do Post... Man-up you Intern!

Well a lot has changed in the last 3 years. My girl friend Erika is now my wife. I am no longer an intern but a youth minister. I'm no longer at Christ Fellowship West Kendall I am at Christ Fellowship Homestead serving as the Director of Students for both Middle School and High School Ministries. Being an intern at Christ Fellowship really helped me man up. It was the hardest and must grueling time of my entire life because of the work weekly work load... but the sense of urgency I gained and my passion to attempt great things for God will stick with me forever. I know I've said it a lot of times in real life but I should say it here now. Christ Fellowship Miami is a great church, with great leadership. It's not a perfect church but there is no such thing as a perfect church. This was where I was saved, discipled, and raised up to be a minister. If you are a young person thinking about joining vocational ministry I would suggest doing an internship before attending bible college/seminary. It'll let you get a feel for the ministry lifestyle and help you confirm your calling. And if during your internship it starts getting difficult and you start being challenged. I would say "suck it up" and finish your internship whether it be for 3 months, 6 months, or 2 years (most internships tell you how long they are going to be and you make a commitment to be there for that long). I've met far to many people who vow to be in an internship for a year and after 3 to 6 months they feel "called" to go serve in another ministry "right away!" It's funny how that "calling" usually comes when things are getting difficult in the internship, like when they've just been rebuked for something, or when there is a high expectation for them to preform. I did a 2 year internship at Christ Fellowship under Todd Breiner and Anthony Spallone at Eric Geigers church and my experience there is worth more than a 4 years BA in Christian Ministry. Just some food for thought for future interns. And if you are currently and intern I would suggest reminding yourself of the Gospel, and how Jesus suffered for the sake of the minister. That he was beaten and bruised and crucified to do the work of God. If Jesus could die for you, you as an unmarried man can die to yourself and fulfill your word and finish your internship.

No comments: