Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Gospel Meme, Zondervan NIV2011


So I personally think that the "ESV" translation of the bible is literally the best translation of modern times. With that said I am not emotionally tied to the "NIV(New International Version)" or Zondervan Publishing. I do teach from the "NIV" in my youth group and in bible classes at the Christian private school I teach at. So many people already own the "NIV" so it's easier for me to adjust to their translation of choice and focus on other issues. I prefer the ESV but I chose my battles carefully.
So the "TNIV" has been known as being the gender-neutral translation of the bible for some time. This means that every time Jesus or the Apostle Paul writes "brothers" or "men" in the Greek the TNIV translates those verses into "brothers and sisters" or "men and women." I understand the arguments of having bibles gender-neutral and non-gender-neutral and I am not upset about how the TNIV does that. But here is what upsets me:
The "NIV1984"(which we've all used for the last 20 years) has been known by the abbreviation "NIV." Zondervan in 2011 changed the name of the "TNIV" to the "NIV." That means that if you own a bible that says NIV on the spine of the book from 3 years ago, and your friend owns a NIV they bought last week, you are using 2 different translations of the bible. Most people do not realize this and they are being misled. So for that Zondervan you are silly and I don't like that you did that. I do prefer Crossway as a publisher because they publish less fluff, but you are still a legitimate publisher that God has used in my life to discipline me. If you are interested in voicing your opinion you can go to zondervan.com and click on the feedback button and tell them you don't like that the TNIV is now called the NIV because it is confusing.

No comments: